Frank Richard Farmer Memorial

2/23/1941 - 8/3/2004

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Goodbye Dad

Frank Richard Farmer was my father.

Today would have been his 64th birthday, if he hadn't passed away of lung cancer last summer.

He is survived by my two sisters, myself, and our mother along with many others who loved him dearly.

I'll write more about my father later, but I wanted to start this blog as a memorial to the most important man in my life. I want to encourage people to send me contributions of text, drawings, pictures, audio files for sharing on this blog, where a memory of Frank will live forever. Of course, all posts will be open for comments by the public.

He touched many lives, and several events are planned for the coming days:
  1. Today 7:30pm EST a live memorial chat using Teamspeak
  2. Ad-Hoc: Matt Decker is hosting an SPB server for old-times sake
  3. Saturday is a special online memorial adventure hosted by Joe Simko and Howie Scheer

If you knew Frank, and any of this is news to you, just drop me a line via email and I'll send you the details.

randy.farmer [at] pobox [dot] com

5 Comments:

Blogger F. Randall Farmer said...

From the Amarillo Globe-News, Aug. 4, 2004:

Frank Richard Farmer, 63, of Amarillo died Tuesday, Aug. 3, 2004.
...
Mr. Farmer worked as a dental supply salesman. He was a member of Amarillo Area Singles Dance Club. He was dearly loved and will be missed.

Survivors include his mother, Gladys Farmer of St. Petersburg, Fla.; a son, Frank "Randy" Farmer of California; two daughters, Debbie Hardina of Arizona and Elizabeth Farmer of Stinnett; a brother, Robert "Bob" Farmer; and six grandchildren.
Obituaries suck. This memorial blog will fill in many of the missing details of my father's life.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last night, I danced with my dad...

I danced with him when I was 9...

at my wedding when I was 19...

and when I was on my own again at 29.

How things can change, but I never stopped loving to dance with my dad.

I heard a song last night that reminded me of him.

I laughed...

I cried...

We danced.

I miss you dad....

Happy Birthday

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That man is a success:

Who has lived well,
Laughed often and loved much;

Who has gained the respect of intelligent men
And the love of his children;

Who has filled his niche
And accomplished his task;

Who leaves the world better than he found it,
Whether by an improved poppy, a perfect poem or a rescued soul;

Who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty
Or failed to express it;

Who looked for the best in others
And gave the best he had.

Such a man was my brother and my brother-in-law, Frank Richard Farmer.

The time has come to say, not, "Goodbye", but, "Au Revoir", until meet again. Meanwhile, God bless you and yours and the rest of us, as well.

Bob & Mary Farmer

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can hear him whistle in the hall...he was a joyful, jubulant whistling lunatic...he loved Lynard Skynard - his favorite song was "Eww that smell...can't you smell that smell...eww that smell...the smell gets around you." This crazy mo-fo could tell crazy ass jokes...be it ethnic or otherwise...he had the right punchline. Indeed...Frank was a crazy bastard.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Maria Alexander said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your father, Randy! Many hugs to you. He sounds like he was a wonderful man -- which makes sense because he produced a wonderful son.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home