Frank Richard Farmer Memorial

2/23/1941 - 8/3/2004

Thursday, February 24, 2005

1975-1981 Life Lessons from the House with an Unlocked Door

For new readers of this blog, please read the first post before reading the rest.

From Gary Dorband:

A great man once told me "Never lose your inner child because the day that you do is the day that you grow old."

I have had the opportunity to repeat that sentence a few times during conversation over the years.

One particular instance stands out. A few years ago I was having a conversation with a fellow that I worked with and I told him those words- the look in his eye was profound. A week or so later on a Monday morning an apprentice, that worked for me at the time, came in with an unusually happy look in his eye. When I made a comment to him about his obviously happy demeanor, he told me of his very inspiring Sunday morning church service that was entirely about not "losing your inner child." What I did not know is that the person that I told this to was a deacon at his church and he had repeated these words to his pastor who, in turn, created an entire service around it.

Great words from a great man continue to do great things.

I have unfortunately missed my opportunity to tell Mr. F a few things -another important lesson here - that I have always needed to say to him in person.
As to not miss another opportunity, an open letter to Mr. F:

Mr. Farmer,

First off, I am doing fine!! I am married to a wonderful girl and have an awesome daughter, you would like them both. I am currently a system administrator at a tool and die shop in Detroit which happens to be only a mile or two away from Pershing High School [Frank's High School]. Life has been very good to me so far. I am sorry that I lost contact with you and the gang, have tried over the years to find someway to get in touch and until just recently was unsuccessful. Really, I just needed to let you know that I am ok. There are a few things that you have given me that I have not been able to thank you for.

First off, thanks for telling me that I was a terrible SPB player....hehehe....but more importantly for taking me under your wing and teaching me that I am capable of doing whatever it is I set my mind to do. You saw something in me that I never knew existed - confidence and ability - as of today there has yet to be a hill to high or a challenge to great. Your confidence in me has fueled a great part of my life.

You accepted me as I was into your home, your family, your heart - the gift here is that there is always room for one more - a fairly common saying in my home today.

"The House"....the people the place the events.....from the day I walked in, literally just walked in as I was instructed not to knock, I have never felt so welcome and accepted. The cast of characters were extraordinary, the best of the best, I am so honored and humbled to be associated with people like this. There was an online chat last night in your honor and if you didn't know better you would swear we were all standing in your kitchen 20 years ago. One of things that I heard last night was the next generation carrying on this great tradition.

And of course the lesson of not losing my inner child....I am still known to get wide eyed "WOW that was cool!".....it is funny as I can see your face and hear your voice as I type this. There was talk last night on the "selling ice cubes to Eskimos". It did not occur to me until that moment that was also a gift. That wide eyed excited attitude when selling a new idea....there is a certain gleam that I get in my eye.....I don't know if it is just a feeling or if anyone else can actually notice it....just last night I realized that gleam is you....

Oh and last but not least, thanks for letting me sleep with your oldest daughter after the new years eve party. I was fully dressed and passed out on the floor but I usually don't tell that part of the story.....hahaha.....oh, and thanks for waking me up for work and making coffee the next morning.....

Thank you for all that you have done for me, your impact on my life goes far beyond the words. I will continue to use all that you have taught me and will continue to hold your memory near my heart. I look forward to the day that we can fly together again.

Long Live the Pershing!
Gary, I.R. Andromeda

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for being so thoughtfull about the Frank R Farmer Blog...it's Very Nice...it's my first exposure to blogs...

It made me think back, it was a very special time, those teen years...it was great to have the open door and have such a teriffic group of young people at our home. I enjoyed everybody, and y'all kept me laughing.

Remember the Monty Python skits?

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home